Position: Environmental Educator
Location: Albany, NY
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are seeking an Environmental Educator to assist with Radix’s environmental education systems and programs, including our K-12 Environmental Literacy programs and Youth Employment.
The Radix Center is an urban ecological literacy and just sustainabilities advocacy nonprofit founded in 2010 with the goal of promoting equity, justice, and environmental regeneration in Albany’s South End. Our small team has grown steadily, and we are now looking to add a third educator. Reporting to the Executive Director, we are looking for a candidate with a diverse skill set and an understanding of the interconnections between Radix’s systems and the social conditions of the surrounding neighborhood. The ability to confidently lead youth and adults in hands-on and discussion-based programs is required for this role.
- Assist with environmental systems
- Develop and lead youth employment programming designed to provide both technical and intellectual training
- Assist with compost, farm share, and community programs
- Become familiar with and continually engage with Radix’s community partners
- Assist with educational social media and marketing efforts
- Train and lead groups of volunteers and interns
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Engage new community partners aligned with Radix’s mission
- Interface and coordinate with officials from the City of Albany
- Maintain program data and prepare outcome reports
Ideal candidates demonstrate some or all of the following:
- A strong commitment to issues of environmental justice, food justice, and racial equity, and experience working with diverse communities
- Experience operating youth-led programming in a nonprofit or K-12 setting
- Experience working in agriculture, education, environmental science, and/or nonprofit program management and assessment
- Experience leading interns, employees, and volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- The ability to work independently or collaboratively with a small group depending on the demands of a project
- Bookkeeping/Quickbooks experience
We encourage all applicants who have passion for this role to apply regardless of their alignment with the experiences listed above! We are a small, flexible organization committed to hiring and training the right person to advance our mission. Understanding, passion, willingness to learn, and capability can substitute for professional experiences.
Work Schedule and Compensation:
$18.50/hour for approximately 20 hours a week, with the opportunity for performance raises. There is the possibility of increased hours as program funding allows. This position has a flexible schedule, although some weeknight availability to lead youth employment programming is required. As hours of daylight change throughout the seasons, the working schedule can be adapted to meet the applicant’s needs.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.Radix is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages BIPOC candidates, people identifying as LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, immigrants, and people with working class backgrounds to apply.