Position: Environmental Educator
Location: Albany, NY
Dates: Beginning April 2021, 20 hours/week with the possibility of increased hours this summer
Application deadline: Monday March 31st, 2021
We are seeking an Environmental Educator to assist with Radix’s environmental education systems and programs, including our Community Compost Initiative, K-12 Environmental Literacy programs, and Youth Employment.
The Radix Center is an urban ecological literacy and just sustainabilities advocacy nonprofit founded in 2010 with the goal of promoting equity, justice, and environmental regeneration in Albany’s South End. Our small team has grown steadily, and we are now looking to add a third educator. Reporting to the Executive Director, we are looking for a candidate with a diverse skill set and an understanding of the interconnections between Radix’s systems and the social conditions of the surrounding neighborhood. The ability to confidently lead youth and adults in hands-on and discussion-based programs is required for this role.
- Assist with environmental systems and programs supporting and supported by Radix’s Community Compost Initiative
- Develop and lead youth employment programming designed to provide both technical and intellectual training
- Assist with compost, farm share, and community programs
- Become familiar with and continually engage with Radix’s community partners
- Assist with educational social media and marketing efforts
- Train and lead groups of volunteers and interns
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Engage new community partners aligned with Radix’s mission
- Interface and coordinate with officials from the City of Albany
- Maintain program data and prepare outcome reports
Ideal candidates demonstrate some or all of the following:
- A strong commitment to issues of environmental justice, food justice, and racial equity, and experience working with diverse communities
- Experience operating youth-led programming in a nonprofit or K-12 setting
- Experience working in agriculture, education, environmental science, and/or nonprofit program management and assessment
- Experience leading interns, employees, and volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- The ability to work independently or collaboratively with a small group depending on the demands of a project
- Basic bookkeeping skills and knowledge of QuickBooks
We encourage all applicants who have passion for this role to apply regardless of their alignment with the experiences listed above! We are a small, flexible organization committed to hiring and training the right person to advance our mission. Understanding, passion, willingness to learn, and capability can substitute for professional experiences.
Work Schedule and Compensation:
Pay is $18-$20/hour for a total of 20 hours a week. There is the possibility of increased hours during the summer months or as program funding allows. This position has a flexible schedule, although some weeknight availability to lead youth employment programming is required. As hours of daylight change throughout the seasons, the working schedule can be adapted to meet the applicant’s needs.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Radix is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages BIPOC candidates, people identifying as LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, immigrants, and people with working class backgrounds to apply.